Pages

Tuesday 15 October 2013

31 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN : NIGHT 15 : CHILDS PLAY

Dolls are frickin' scary, fact. I'm not sure why, but I know that there is one little man that made me feel mega uneasy as a kid and that was Chucky. Childs Play didn't enter my consciousness till the mid 90's, when Childs Play 3 was banned here in the UK after a particularly gruesome court case targeted the film as the cause of two young boys killing another. It was then at school that the legends standard about how terrifying Childs Play really was. By the time I was 13 I had managed to find a copy of it, through a friends mum who had taped it off TV before it became almost impossible to find anywhere... it destroyed me.


Childs Play follows the story of Andy who receives the hottest toy around for his birthday, A Good Guy Doll. Quite a find by his mother who had to procure it from a homeless man in an alleyway. However this doll turns out to be housing the spirit of legendary serial killer Charles Lee Ray, who is still dead set on continuing his murderous rampage dragging Andy along for the ride.

Childs Play is one of those films that goes on every media player or anything like that I have, I always have a copy of it on my phone or laptop. Its re-watch value is amazing and sometime I can sit and watch it 4 or 5 times in a row, it really is just that good. The film has spawned 5 sequels to date and it really is an amazing movie and an amazing series of movies. Brad Douriff (or at least voiced) has played the plastic perpetrator since 1988 and latest entry to the franchise Curse Of Chucky really feels like a love letter to the fans. 

Its lost some of it scare factor now that I'm older and I see the comedy elements a little more, but the first 3 movies especially, as well as the latest one,
really are still very dark movies. You should check em out. 

See You Tomorrow.

MJ



No comments:

Post a Comment