Pages

Saturday 19 October 2013

31 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN : NIGHT 19 : THE UGLY

There are a few films on this list that just seem to not hit people on their horror radar, every so often I come across someone who has seen 1997's The Ugly, but its few and far between and that seems like a shame as it is, in fact, a hugely effective and terrifying horror that left me with several sleepless nights. I

myself didn't see it till around 2000 when I found it on DVD for about £5, although I had been aware of it showing on late night TV well before that. 

The film follows Simon, a captured serial killer locked in mental institution, who has become the subject of a new paper by sensationalist writer Dr Karen Schumaker. They begin to uncover why Simon killed the people he did and he talks about 'The Ugly', A series of voices forcing him to do it. However when we discover what the Ugly really are, or at least may be, where the true shocks come into play. 

The film is immensely effective and an amazing breakdown of the psychology of a serial killer, I've never seen anything that really gets it as right as this film does. The ending is a little ambiguous, but that simple adds to the overall tone of the movie. It really did shit me up when I saw it as an adult and still does to this day. I would go as far as to say its one of my favourite horrors of all time and with good reason.

See You Tomorrow
MJ



No comments:

Post a Comment