Pages

Saturday 5 October 2013

31 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN : NIGHT 5 : TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

In 1974 a film took America by storm. Up till that point horror had meant old dar, black and white castles and European folklore, taking the same ideals of the lost traveller coming across the monsters residence, Texas Chainsaw Massacre brought this classic horror trope screaming into the modern world. 

Originally called Head Cheese ( I don't know :/ ) the film was a loose telling of the story and crimes of real life killer Ed Gain. But aside from some furniture made from human skin and bones the similarities to the real case stop there.

The film follows a group of teens who find themselves exploring an old abandoned cabin, only to discover they have indeed walked into the home of a deranged cannibalistic family and thier 'deformed' sibling Leather-face, a chainsaw wielding maniac who lives to torture, kill and eat anyone he comes across. The teens meet thier grizzly ends except for the one final girl, which could be the true beginning to the final girl concept. 

Banned in the UK, I didn't see this film until I was in my mid teens, and it had little impact on me when I first saw it on 16th generation copied video. However the ban was lifted a few years later and the film quickly became one of my all time favourites when I caught on late night TV. It builds a sense if dread that stills makes me feel uneasy to this day. It has dated slightly, but it's legacy lives on with its sequels and follow up films, as well as the remake in 2003 which is definitely worth a watch. 

See you tomorrow. 

MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment