Pages

Wednesday 23 October 2013

31 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN : NIGHT 23 : BLADE

Going through my list of films for this year I realised that I would have to put my love of comic book movies aside for the month, whilst I wrote these blogs. However I did discover one movie that I felt fit nicely into this selection of influential horror movies. More of an action horror than straight up scares it is however a film that contains one of horrors favourite most rats. Vampires.

Born from a dying woman bitten by a vampire, Blade gained the powers of a vampire without any of thier weaknesses. Swearing to use his gift to hunt down creatures of the night Blade comes across the vampire gangster Deacon Frost and his plan to raise an ancient vampire god that would will destroy human life as we know it. 


Blade is one of those films that appeals to my 2 favourite genres, comic book movies and horror. The  infamous club scene at the opening is still one of the slickest action movie scenes to date and it's strange that most people seem to forget that Blade paved the way for cinema changing films like The Matrix and X-Men with its release 3 years earlier than the two films. My favourite thing about the film, aside from its tight writing and well choregraphed action, is the highlights it drew in popular culture to the horror characters in the marvel universe and lesser known characters that inhabit that part of its world. Even leading to an ill received MAN THING movie a few years later. 

The film spawned two sequels and TV series minute the movies star Wesley Snipes. 

See You Tomorrow
MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment