Pages

Tuesday 15 October 2013

FROWNING CLOWN SPEAKS : CHILDREN ON ELM STREET


“One, two, Freddy’s coming for you..”
Many years ago, when the summers lasted years and the kids actually spent time outdoors I felt for the first time the ghostly chill of the horror genre. Like most nine year olds of that era, I divided my time between playing knock and run, and pretending to understand the rude jokes the older kids told me. In the eighties you could literally wait for years before you got to hear about a particular film let alone watch it, on your mates uncle’s VHS player! This was the case with Nightmare on Elm Street as it was sometime after its 1984 release that it scraped its razor sharp claws down my spine. Of course, it was one of the older kids in our ‘gang’ that began to preach the religion of Freddy (possibly after a joke about pubes) and I was instantly excited and terrified in equal measure.

“Three Four better lock your door.”
Now this older kid (we’ll call him Mark) was a bit spoilt and so he of course had actually seen nightmare on Elm Street. By spoilt I mean he had a green screen for his Amstrad computer, and a life sized cardboard cut out of Sylvester Stallone in Cobra. Of course I had felt the shivery tickle of fear before, but this was my first taste if horror as a subject in its own right. Mark began outlining the films plot to the gang, but when he noticed my eyes were now three times the normal size, he focused all his craft of storytelling on me. Like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights I was a goner.

“Five, six, grab your crucifix.”
By the time Mark had told me that Freddy Kruger kills his victims in nightmares and they stay dead, I had decided that I would quit sleeping for good. The other older lads in the gang had obviously seen the fear in my eyes, and jumped on the bandwagon/bloodbus. Only Mark had seen the film, yet I was now being convinced by all that Mr Kruger (as I would politely address him while groveling to be spared) would be waiting for me at bedtime. The way in which people over-react with anger towards such films always makes me feel as though horror is the Marmite of movie genres. If this is true, then this is the moment I had my first bite. It tasted GOOD.

“Seven, Eight, gonna stay up late.”
Bear in mind I was at an age where I genuinely thought I was about to be disemboweled by some guy in a crap jumper, and yet I was still fascinated. In fact I was excited. I’d never heard a story like this. The possibilities were endless, even after death! Of course the moment the light went out at bedtime, my emotions were pure ice like fear and I stifled sobs at the sudden range of shadows and shapes in my pitch-black bedroom. However, one I had survived the night, I was excited all over again and couldn’t wait to talk about the film I hadn’t even watched. Once Mark had seen there was no more fun to be had in scaring me, he suggested playing football, but my heard wasn’t in it. Kruger held it, still beating, in his burnt hand. So the older kids played football, and me, and the younger lot chased each other in the nearby woods, shrieking like banshees. We would take it in turns being Freddy in our grisly version of hide and seek.

“Nine, Ten never sleep again!”
That summer had presented a crossroads for future tastes, and I had rushed headlong down Elm Street. Funnily enough, and going back to an earlier point, it was years after this that I actually watched the film! Luckily I wasn’t disappointed. I have been attracted to all things horror ever since to try and capture those moments of fear that make me feel like a child again. So when I wake in the night and pass a mirror on my way to the bathroom, I look straight into it and kind of hope I see something pass behind me. Now I embrace the fear, and hold its cold body next to mine. I like to think that the nine year old me would have been happy about that.

ADAM


No comments:

Post a Comment