Pages

Friday 25 October 2013

31 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN : NIGHT 25 : LEPRECHAUN

Back in the 90's I would quite often find myself in a little video shop in my home town, usually down to the fact that one of my friends was obsessed with video rental. Every night we would go to the rental shop and look for hours at the titles laid out in what was in essence a large cupboard. There was one film in particular that kept catching my eye, but the cover itself terrified 11 year me so much, that I wasn't sure I would ever be able to watch it. The cover featured a door opening slightly and from behind the door peered a creature, barley visible, but that scared me to death. The Leprechaun. 

When a group of kids head out to old farm house to fix it up, they discover a rainbow that leads to a pot of gold, one of them, being mentally retarded, swallows a coin. After which they inadvertently set free a murderous Leprechaun who is intent on getting his gold back at any cost. The teens find themselves terrorised as they hunt for the one thing can stop him. The four leaf cover. 

Ok, so anyone who's seen the film knows that it's ridiculous, but as a kid I really couldn't figure out how a film about a Leprechaun was going to play out and that made it even more terrifying. Seeing it years later and realising that its star TV's Jennifer Anniston took all the scares out of it, but replaced it with what I considered to be an enjoyable little pseudo monster amock movie. It works and its just serious enough and just funny enough to keep your attention for 90 minutes. 

Its went on to spawn 5 sequels, One in Vegas, One in Space and TWO! in Tha/Da Hood, as well as the 2nd film being released at first here in the UK as a Four Weddings Spoof. WWE recently picked up the franchise leaving Warwick Davis, who played the Lep for all 6 outings, pushed out of the series after almost 20 years. Shame.

See You Tomorrow
MJ


No comments:

Post a Comment