Pages

Saturday 26 October 2013

31 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN : NIGHT 26 : SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE/HAUTE TENSION

I've stayed away from modern horrors for the most part here, or at least newer horror and stuck to the stuff that i grew up with. But there was one film that I couldn't resist getting on this list. This was my introduction to Alexandre Aja, who has since remade Hills have Eyes and PiraƱa over in Hollywood, its simply a mind-blowingly violent film from bloody beginning to bitter end. The film is, to even my surprise, was made in 2003 making it 10 years old now. However, it still resonates with me as one of modern horrors greats. 


Marie heads out to her friend Alex' family home to study for their exams and get a bit of rest and relaxation, but in the middle of the night a strangers comes calling and before Marie knows it, the family are dead and her friend Alex is thrown in the back of a truck. Its now down to Marie to save her before its too late and the tension mounts as the identity of the kidnapping murderer comes to light and it is the last thing that they expect. 

The film really was a big surprise to me when I saw it, I'm not sure how familiar people in general are with the final ending and I'm fully aware that its a love it or hate it deal. The film to me however was a step into a new wave of film making that got its scares  from tense, well put together set pieces and over the top gore. It a very unique film and although its in french, the v
isual medium tells the story so well there is almost no need for subtitles. 


See You Tomorrow
MJ


No comments:

Post a Comment