Pages

Thursday 24 October 2013

31 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN : NIGHT 24 : NEAR DARK

Writing about Blade yesterday really did give me a lot to think about, it made me realise that I have included zero vampire movies on this list so far apart from the Wesley Snipes Action horror. Of course my current feelings towards vampires are that, for the most part they are, like zombies, hugely over done. When I think of vampires my mind instantly goes back to the crude, dirty 80's which produced one of the greatest vampire films of all time. Near Dark.

Picking up a hot chick late at night, Farm boy Caleb ends up getting more than he bargained for when she bites him, things get worse when as the sun rises Caleb begins to set on fire under the morning light as he transforms into what he will come to understand as a vampire. He is suddenly snatched by a gang of other blood suckers, who forcefully take him in and drag him on the road as part of their vicious and violent, murderous gang as they reek havoc across the highways of midwest America.

Its certainly a vampire movie with a difference, for the most part it does away with all the stereotypes that come with the genre. It feels dirty, gritty and almost too real. The scene involving Bill Paxton, some spurs and a throat cutting in a bar is something amazing that when described to me, I couldn't imagine it working. But it does. Its a great modern take on the mythos.

I always felt that it reminded me of a cross between The Hitcher and Terminator with vampires, only to later discover that it was Directed by James Cameron's now ex wife Katheryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker) and written by Hitcher scribe Eric Red. It never spawned any sequels and there are no remakes on the horizon as of yet, which helps add to how unique the film really is. 

See You Tomorrow
MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment